Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Remembering an Angel

Tonight's post is a tribute to Ryan David. Most everyone who reads this blog knows who he is, but for those who have stumbled across this blog and don't:

Ryan was born one year ago - August 9th, 2005. He was so loved by his mommy and daddy, but his time on earth was short. He passed away just two days later.

Ryan and his parents have come to hold a special place in my heart. Sher and Mike have been so open with those of us on the boards, sharing their joy in his impending birth and the horrible sadness at his passing. I appreciate their candor because it is a daily reminder to me to be grateful for the blessing of my little boy.

The other thing they have done is give me a little perspective on a family tragedy. Approximately 22 years ago (can it really be that long ago) my cousin Caitlin was born. She too had a congenital heart defect. Caity was not expected to survive more than a couple of days but she did. She fought long and hard for the 8 years she spent with us. I spent a few hours with her at the end but I never truly understood the pain my aunt and uncle must have been going through. Through Sherry I have come to have a better understanding, and respect, for my aunt and uncle and what they have had to overcome.

To Sherry and Mike, know I am thinking of you today and always. I send you all the strength and love I can.

To Ryan, the sweet little angel who I know is celebrating his birthday with his loved ones on the other side - including his buddy Thomas, Happy Birthday little man! You will never be forgotten.

No comments: