Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Math

I must be the biggest math-phobe ever. I really do hate any arithmatic equation more complex than simple addition and subtraction. Seriously! Keeping my check book balanced is a real chore - and I use a calculator. LOL! It's a miracle I passed my college algebra class a few years ago.

Speaking of math class, I feel like that was a defining moment for me. Because I am "challenged" in this area I had to concentrate really really hard to pass. And it's funny how fate intervenes at times like this. At the time I was beginning my ump-teenth run at completing - never mind passing - a math class. The first couple days of class are always a getting comfortable process, with the teacher and also scoping out possible "study buddies". There was one other lady in the class who was also, what is now called, a nontraditional student (aka someone over 25 years old). We got to talking and realized that we both had similar "issues" with math. The following semester we ended up in the same math class again, purely by chance. We agreed to help each other thru the torture of Math 117, which was needed to graduate.

We met at lunch and on weekends to go over our homework, we met together to go to the math tutoring center and also to go to talk to the instructor when we still needed more help. We also supported each other as friends in our outside of class lives. And in the end we passed! It was the best, most hard won A I've ever achieved in my academic career. And I can honestly say, if it had not been for the friendship I forged with Donna I don't know if I would have done as well in the class. Maybe, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out.

In the last few years I've become friends with a group of women via a couple of message boards. Most every one of those women I met when I began my journey TTC and they continue to be a source of inspiration and support in a way that is difficult for many of my IRL friends to understand. It is similar to how things went in my triumph over algebra - with support and understanding of people who share my fears and concerns, and a little bit of faith, I was able to achieve the crowning "glory" of my life - the conception and birth of my darling little boy. Every day I appreciate my friends on the boards more and more because of the support they've given me and each other.

But I still don't like to do math...

1 comment:

RollerCoaster said...

I like math. But I like my board friends more! It is funny that women you never met in person can be so close to you. Congrats on the A in algebra! You have a lot to be proud of!