Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I AM my mother

So I didn't quite find the time to make it here yesterday. Life got in the way. Funny how that happens. It's not like there was some earthshattering, ultra serious "thing" going on. Just the boring day to day stuff at work and at home.

I need to give props to my mom. I don't do it nearly enough and I've come to really respect her in the last few years. Strangely enough I now find myself not minding that I've become alot like her.

I've mentioned in passing that my dad was in the Navy - 20 years of service to our country. What is often times overlooked is the service (and sacrifice) of the family of the soldier, sailor or airman. These individuals - wives and children especially - are unsung heros. When I was a kid I hated being part of a military family. All the moving around we did was very difficult. I never realized how hard it was on my mother.

There are three kids in my family, myself and two younger sisters. We got along well for the most part. And my mom had to endure 2 different deployments with all three of us under foot. Both deployments got extended past their original date to come home. I remember the one during the Iran crisis in the late 1970's most. Yet thru it all, my mom never let us see how frazzled she had to have been. I know I'm frazzled with just my son, I can't imagine having to deal with 3 little ones. I don't ever remember seeing, or hearing, her cry or complain. She just did what she had to do to keep the house running, and us from killing each other;-)

So, now that I'm walking in her shoes, almost literally, I understand her better. I've had a great role model and I didn't even realize it. And she understands me in ways I don't even understand me. I consider her to be one of the strongest, bravest women I've ever met.

1 comment:

Momma Jen said...

Isn't it funny how much more we appreciate our mother's as we get older? I'll admit, I get scared sometimes at how much like her I am but hey, it's all good!
((HUGS))