Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Perspective

I'm struck today by the diffence in the way we see ourselves and the way other people see us.

Today I was interviewed (for lack of a better term) by a consultant. His firm was hired by one of our clients, who my department is being absorbed by, to find out what exactly each person in my department does, what are our biggest challenges, the things we like/dislike about our jobs, etc. Yet another reason I'm so very glad I've only got 5 weeks left in this job!

Anyway, as I'm talking to this consultant I realize that the perspective from which we are viewed by our clients is not at ALL what I expected. They really don't have a clue what we do or what the organizational structure is and how we fit into their organization.

I always thought it was pretty clear but hey, what do I know right?

So, as I sit back at my desk and perform my daily check on the blogs I "stalk" I come across a post from CK musing on a similar line of thinking. Of course her discussion is much more personal in nature but again I find myself amazed at the concept of perspective. We think we know how others perceive us, that who we are and what we do is obvious.

In reality it's not so obvious because the interactions we have with individuals are just that - individual. I may think every other client I work with knows what my department does but that's not true...that client only knows how they interact with us. Just like the personal interactions we have with people. Not everyone sees me the way I see me, and this is probably a good thing. LOL!

1 comment:

Kori said...

I thought this was kind of funny - i have a blog post entitled Perspective as well from last year i think lol :)