Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My Soap Box

OK, I have to rant about this for a minute. It's about work - more or less - so you can skip it if you want. Then again, you might just want to read on...

Why, oh why, do parents insist on not taking responsibility for their children?! Or adults for themselves for that matter! Seriously, is it so hard for you to work with your children so they understand what is, and is not, acceptable behavior in public?

As a parent I'm fully aware of what my child is doing at all times, most especially in public. When we are out at the mall, or a museum, or theatre, or church, I expect him to behave a certain way. Now I do realize DS is 3.5 so he's going to make some questionable choices - throwing his leg over the back of the pew in church and riding it like a horse comes to mind. But it's up to me, his parent, to guide him and tell him that's not acceptable behavior. Not a docent, not an usher, or any other employee of the establishment I'm visiting.

So my question is, why do some parents find it so difficult to monitor their child(ren) in public? I work in a museum. No, it's not an art museum but our collection is pretty valuable and unique. The whole purpose for a museum is to preserve and protect the artifacts in the collection. Just because we do not have everything under glass does NOT mean people, or their children, should feel free to climb all over the artifacts! And can I mention here the serious lack of judgement in hoisting your child thru the air intake of a jet engine so they can crawl up into an aircraft?!

Now you see my frustration here. Its a fine line we are walking here. You want the visitor to enjoy their time here but you want them to have some respect for the artifacts.

No comments: