Saturday, August 18, 2007

My Surprise This Week

I have to just mention how surprised I am about something. In my job I work with alot of volunteers. They are the docents at our museum. The make up of this group is really wide ranging - from blue collar on the assembly line guys to upper management at the local airplane manufacturer, from teachers to doctors to CPAs. Their one common love - airplanes. Most, but not all, are retirees. They are an interesting cross section of people.

So this week I've been letting each shift of docents know that next week is my last week. Some seem surprised, some don't. All of them understand my reasons for leaving - keeping my family together. It's been very interesting to see even the gruffest, grumpiest of these guys soften just a little during out meetings this week. They remember what it's like and they sympathize.

Only once did I almost cry this week. I've become close to some fo these men and women. They are truly wonderful people, even if they can get a little grumpy at times.

It's funny, a couple months ago I was talking with my director and mentioning how I had become a little dissillusioned. I'd gone into this job expecting these docents to be like my own grandfather and they weren't. Well, I was wrong. They are just like my grandfather was. Each of them has the same determination that the story of their generation not be forgotten. And each of them has the determination that THEY not be forgotten and that they continue to be able to do something for their community. I'm just really glad they chose this particular museum to share with.

No comments: